Biarritz is a peaceful haven nestled between the Pyrenees mountains and the Atlantic ocean in the Basque region of France. Originally a quaint fishing village, Biarritz began its evolution into a fashionable and refined seaside resort in the 19th century with the arrival and attention of Napoleon III and his empress Eugenie.
Presently, Biarritz is also world-renouned for its excellent surfing, long sandy beaches, and year-round mild climate in addition to its wonderful architecture, elegant buildings, casinos and palaces.
This region of France offers:
- St. Jean-de-Luz, St. Jacques de Compostelle, and a large number of authentic Basque villages
- Beautiful long sandy beaches offering a wide range of water sport activities year-round
- Quick access to the stunning views, trekking, and skiing available in the Pyrenees mountains
- Incredible waves and surfing
- Spain is located 20 minutes away by automobile