This Study & Internship program combines a minimum 4 week Standard Group Chinese Study program followed up with a minimum 8 week Internship Work Experience placement in the community.
ll internship opportunities will work in partnership with local people in a variety of community-based projects.
This unique program offers exciting hands-on work opportunities, meaningful cultural immersion, and an enriching language program.
After participating in this Study & Internship Program in Shanghai, students will gain unique cross-cultural professional experience, greatly improved foreign language abilities, personal and professional growth and confidence both nationally and internationally, and culturally sensitive yet sound communication skills.
The study portion of the program includes 20 hours per week of Group Chinese classes for a minimum of 4 weeks. Maximum number of students per class is 5, with the average being 2 students. Groups are organized in a way that each will always consist of students possessing the same level of Chinese.
Each course is divided into grammar and conversation. You will study the basic spoken Chinese language skills – reading phonetics, speaking and listening – and then work to integrate them.
We puts a strong emphasis on both practical and essential skills. Half of the class time is concentrated on speaking and listening comprehension, role - play, group dynamics and vocabulary games.
The remaining class time is spent reviewing, and dealing with personal experiences and different daily situations. In order to enhance our students listening comprehension, we will change a teacher every four to eight weeks.
Placement Test: All students are encouraged to take a placement test consisting of a written test and an oral test. This will assess the appropriate course level before starting.
Material Professional: Text books. Materials developed by our own or other professional organizations. Hand - outs such as newspapers and magazines
Learn in Life: Teachers will organize field trips for students to practice their language in a real life situation.
Developmental Report: A developmental report every 20 to 30 lessons will allow students to check on their progress. However, you can get personalized feedback from your teachers at any time.
Quality System: We conducts section evaluations to assess abilities of each teacher. Our Training Department conducts regular meetings and also observes classes and supervises our team of teachers.
After the minimum 4 week study program, there is an 8 week minimum internship placement in a business or organization in one of the following fields:
• Marketing • Tourism & Hotel Management • Economy • International Business & Banking • Language Teacher (English) • Other fields may be available upon request
Internship Placement Location
20-30 minutes from the institute in Shanghai
Our most popular housing option is the shared apartment in residential buildings, where you will live with other students. No meal plan is available with the shared apartments, however you have kitchen access to prepare your own meals. Furthermore, cooperation with other students is necessary as the common areas are maintained only once per week. All apartments are fully furnished and equipped and are located average 30 minutes from the school
Apartments include the following: - students have will have their own bedroom - bedroom with bed, desk, chair, wardrobe - bed linen, towels, blanket provided - fridge, microwave, stove, pans and cutlery - washing machine, TV, air-conditioning are provided - free broadband Internet access - telephone and free local phone calls - water, gas, electricity are provided - cleaning service once a week
* Minimum age 18 *Undergraduate, graduate students and adults with an undergraduate degree or higher. *Knowledge of Elementary Level Chinese by the time you start the internship
The internship positions on a space available basis. These are unpaid positions.
• Group - 20 Hours per Week in Group of 2-5 Students per class. • 50 min class hour • Internship Placement in local Business or Organization • Shared Apartment - Single Room, no meals. • Arrival Transfer from the airport • Placement Testing • 1-2 Organized Activities Weekly* • Access to E-mail • Access to Multimedia Learning Center • Certificate of Completion • Pre-Departure Information • Planning Guide • Medical, Accident and Sickness Coverage ** • Medivac Coverage • Other Travel Coverage (repatriation, baggage, personal effects, accidental death and dismemberment , etc.) • 24 Hour Emergency Multilingual Hotline (call collect from anywhere in the world)
* Entrance fees, transportation, etc. may be at additional cost. ** See policy for definitions and exclusions.
You should apply for a L Visa (tourist visa) by your flight tickets before you enter in China. This visa is normally valid for 30 to 90 days. WE will help you to find a qualified visa agent in China to extend your visa if necessary.
All levels start any Monday except for beginners who start : Jan. 12, Feb. 09, March 09, April 06, May 04, June 01, June 29, July 13, July 27, Aug 24, Sept. 21, Oct. 19, Nov. 16, Dec. 14, 2009.
Program & Internship: 20 hours per week. The Group Program consists of 4 hours per day, Monday through Friday, of immersion language study in a group setting with a maximum of 5 students per class. Internship will start start after the 4 weeks Classes.
Shanghai is the biggest and most prosperous city in China - and the sixth biggest city in the world! It was the first Chinese port open to Europeans and the birthplace of China's tourist industry.
Today Shanghai offers amazing contrasts between traditional and futuristic and has a superb blend of Chinese and colonial European architectural style. . Visitors will appreciate how the city has managed to retain its cultural identity and will enjoy the mixture of traditional & modern.
Cultural and Social Activities
Using a language in its natural environment and studying in the native country where the language is spoken immeasurably increases the speed and quality of learning. The School is dedicated to take our students out of the classroom to participate in excursions and cultural activities. Our experienced coordinators will guide you to places where are exciting, modern, traditional, interesting, so that you can fully understand the unique character of the region that surrounds you.
Cultural activity program is offered each week but remains optional. Some are free, others range from $6-$12 each (average 65 RMB). Optional fieldtrips including meals are usually under $40 unless they include lodging). Here is a sample activity program:
Monday - Tai Chi
Tuesday - Chinese calligraphy or Chinese painting
Wednesday - Shanghai dialect
Thursday - Paper cutting
Friday - Dumplings making (tasting included!)
Other examples - Chinese characters, Chinese medicine, Chinese cooking
• To apply for the Internship Program, fill out the Registration Form by clicking the register link and submit on-line or mail including the deposit of $140 US.
• Also, you will have to send your Curriculum Vitae/Resume in English and Letter of intent in English - describing your language skills, previous professional experiences and expectations regarding the internship, typewritten by email to email@example.com or fax at 414-271-8884.