The Italian Language lessons
Grammar and conversation lessons -- The main emphasis of the course is placed on the development of communication skills in spoken and written Italian. Examples of the subjects covered in each of the lessons are:
- Grammar (forming words, sentence structure, spelling and word sounds). Not in the form of strict rules, but through communication and practice.
- Everyday situations which you will encounter during your stay in Italy such as meeting people, telephone conversations etc.
- Vocabulary and idiomatic expressions
- Styles of language use; when a particular use of language is acceptable
- Cultural factors such as the meaning of words in different contexts; the gestures and body language which accompany and influence communication.
- Language use.
There are four skills: reading, writing, listening and speaking which need to be studied and developed from the start of the program. The emphasis on these four areas helps to enable the student to use their knowledge of the Italian language in day - to - day communication. An immersion approach to the language is used for all levels – this means that from day one only Italian is spoken in the classroom. This approach helps the student to become comfortable with the Italian language quickly. Teachers use authentic material in the classroom, role playing, and an adaptive approach to grammatical structures and vocabulary which become progressively more complex as the student advances between levels.At advanced levels different types of text are used to encourage the recognition and reproduction of different language styles.
To ensure each student receives the proper training, the students current verbal and oral proficiency in Italian will be established by a written and oral examination on the first day of class.